Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Te in the 4th (anima/animus) Position

Extraverted Thinking (Te) is my 4th most natural function and yet it is a function that I go to quite often when I run into problems with others. It is a rather satisfying function for me and yet it is not one that I particularly enjoy using. Te is the planning function, that I now realize, I go to when quite often. At those times I resort to this function and provide very detailed, logical plans and decisions. I think that I had to develop this function faster than I may have otherwise as a response to training and operational requirements in the Army that emphasizes the logical decision making process.

Extraverted Thinking is one of the two judging or decision making functions. This is a simple way to say that after we get the data, facts, information, or knowledge with our perceiving functions, we use our judging functions to make the decision. The thing I like best about Extraverted Thinking is the logical defensibility of the decision. I have proof, specific and visible that this is a good decision. For me I found that the computer was an invaluable asset in allowing me to access this function. I learned that computers would allow me to organize and display data and facts in a very logical manner. It organized my thoughts in a way that became visible to all including myself. This is indeed a valuable function but like I said before I still do not particularly like using this logical decision making process

By being in the 4th or anima/animus archetypal position, Te supports my dominant function directly. I recognize this in me as the logic of Te allows me to give some a decision that they can agree with while it is almost always based on the values that are so much a part of my dominant or Hero function, Introverted Feeling (Fi). I will talk more about Fi in a following post.

Dr Beebe talks about this support relationship of these two archetypes as like a spine. The Hero at the top of the spine like the head of the body and the anima/animus at the base of the spine like the legs that get you where your head wants you to go. For me this support is crucial when I am using my Introverted Feeling values and I know that they will not be good enough by themselves. Good decisions need to have that logical, fact based thinking as an integral part but I believe that if it does not support my hero of Fi then it is not going to work.

Dr Beebe also says that Te in the anima position tries to connect, to establish a relationship or partnership. I thought about this for me and saw this happening through out my Army career. With approximately 50% of the officers in the Army using Te as their dominant or auxiliary function I found that sharing my dominant values was not going to get me far. Using Te I discovered that I could work and ultimately have a very successful career among those that have very different personality types than I do. When I finally discovered this relationship late in my career I called this function in this position my survival function. This is how I survived in the Army.

How does Extraverted Thinking support your work in school? Are there classes that you prefer and that make better use of this function for you than others? If this is not one of your preferred functions, are you able to step out of your comfort zone to answer those questions that require the logic and organization of this function?

No comments:

Post a Comment

While you may comment anonymously please let me know who you are and/or where you are from so I have an idea how wide spread this Blog has become. Thanks. Ken