Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ne in the 2nd (Good Parent) position

Extroverted iNtuition (Ne), while not my most natural function, is probably the function that is most easily seen in most things that I do. This is the function that provides boundless optimism and actually can make people think that I am much more extroverted than I truly am. Ne is located in my 2nd or Auxiliary position which is also know as the Good Parent Archetype. The good parent is the function that is used to take care of not only the individual but others as well.

When using Extroverted iNtuition I am looking at possibilities, at where we are going, at the patterns.

In Dr. John Beebe’s list this is the function that is anticipating. Anticipating what is to come, looking for more, seeing where the information brought in by the senses can take me. This can be such an exciting thing for me that I want to share it and often come up with new, exciting and imaginative ways to do things. This excitement can be very powerful in team dynamics, breathing new energy into a project or it can quickly lose others on a team who may not be able to change directions at a whim like I do. When learning from a teacher who uses Ne a lot, it can be difficult to follow where the teacher goes if that teacher does not learn to stay on task and instead decides to go with his/her imagination. A student who does not use Ne can get lost or quickly give up and lose interest. Both the teacher and the student need to be careful and if this becomes a problem they need to talk and ensure they are together on their lessons and assignments.

While residing in the good parent position I tend to use this function for the good of others. This is why it is my primary teaching function. In the realm of teaching and training I feel my strength is my ability to change on the go. I am able to adjust training schedules and lessons quickly based on the student needs or when other issues arise. Of course this can lead again to confusion by the students and sometimes looks like I am not very organized. The organization is there but in my head where others are not privy to it. because it is the Good parent function losing a student due to my quick change act can be very upsetting so I go out of my way to ensure everyone stays with me.

When I fly medical helicopters this ability to anticipate allows me to always seem to have the right answer. Harry Reasoner during the Vietnam War called helicopter pilots “bleary–eyed anticipators of trouble” and I think it fits us very well. I think more than anything that this function has served me well over the years. I used to tell my flight students that if they do not understand what I am trying to say or explain that they need to tell me immediately. Even before I knew anything about type I knew that I tended to explain even the simplest concept differently than most other instructors. And I learned the hard way that I could lose students if this happens.

Extroverted iNtuition in the Good Parent Position is all about Anticipating the needs of others in a very positive environment.

How do you think you would react to this teaching style?

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment

While you may comment anonymously please let me know who you are and/or where you are from so I have an idea how wide spread this Blog has become. Thanks. Ken